History of Kiiking
- Swinging is one of the oldest forms of entertainment for many nations.
- Main reason why kiiking is close to Estonians’ hearts is that our great-great-great grandparents very likely met each other on a swing—this is where we began.
- Swings have brought Estonians together for centuries.
What is kiiking?
- Kiiking – sport invented and promoted in Estonia, which involves a person making a swing gain increasingly more momentum.
- Goal – pass over the spindle with the longest shafts possible.
- Specific squatting technique – differs from regular swinging methods.
- Swinger’s hands and feet are fastened to the shafts and the seat using special straps.
When was it invented?
- First kiiking swing – Ado Kosk (1993)
- First modern kiiking swing (adjustable shafts) – 1996
- Three models of swings, maximum shaft height 8m.